One of the raitas made at our abode is Beetroot Raita. Beetroot has a special color to it that makes one's heart flutter.. especially mine. I simply love the color and when added to a dish it adds an extra zing to it. Some toddlers do not favour Beetroot. Mine is one of them, but I can feed him beetroot in this form.
- Beetroot, 1, boiled, skinned, and chopped finely
- 1 cup curd or yogurt
- Green chilli, 1, sliced horizontally (depending on the hotness)
- some Coriander leaves, chopped finely
- Mustard seeds, 1/2 tsp
- Cumin seeds, 1/2 tsp
- Asafoetida (hing) powder, a pinch
- Curry leaves, a sprig
- Urad dal, 1/2 tsp
- In a pan, heat some oil.
- Add mustard seeds and cumin seeds.
- When they crackle, add the urad dal, curry leaves, hing, green chilli.
- Saute it on a low flame for a while till the chilli lets out the aroma.
- Now add the beetroot pieces. Saute well for a while till the beetroot becomes a bit crispy.
- Let this mixture cool.
- Transfer it in a bowl.
- Add the yogurt or curd. Add salt. Mix well.
- Garnish with chopped coriander leaves.
Serve with rice dishes or chapatis-sabjis.