Had this Vaangi Bhaat recipe in my drafts for a long time. Today was its day :)...Here is my version of Vaangi Bhaath and that too a quick one. Vaangi means brinjal or aubergine in Marathi. Marathi is the language spoken in the state of Maharashtra.
You can also use the Vaangi Bhaath masala that is readily available in grocery stores. The taste is a bit different but still yummy!
- Basmati rice, 1 cup, cleaned and washed, soaked for 15 mins
- Brinjals, 2 medium-sized, cut into long pieces
- Onion, 1 medium-sized, chopped finely
- Ginger-garlic paste, 1 tsp
- Peanut powder, 1 tbsp
- Green chillies, 2-3 chopped finely (depending on the hotness)
- Curry leaves, 1 sprig
- Turmeric powder, 1 tsp
- Cumin powder, 1 tsp
- Mustard seeds, 1 tsp
- Asafoetida (hing), a pinch
- Oil, 1 tbsp
- Salt to taste
- Jaggery (optional)
- In a pressure cooker, heat some oil. When heated, add mustard seeds.
- When they sputter, add a pinch of hing and curry leaves.
- Add the onions. When they turn pink, add ginger-garlic paste and green chillies. Saute for 2 mins.
- Now add the brinjal pieces and mix well.
- Add the peanut powder and mix well.
- Let this cook for 4-5 minutes till the brinjals are well sauted.
- When the oil separates from the veggies, add the rice and mix well. Add the turmeric and cumin powder.
- For 1 cup of rice, add 2.5 cups of water. Add the salt and jaggery (optional). Mix well.
- Pressure cook for 3 whistles or 7-10 minutes.
Serve this with raitas and papads. This is an ideal comfort food.